Thursday, February 28, 2013

#PrayerDare: February Recap


If you remember at the beginning of February, I began participating in the the #PrayerDare. 
{you can check out this post for a refresher}

All month long I've been praying for my husband & it's been really good! 
I have to be honest, I have not done it every day as it's meant to be done.  However, both Mike & I have been really blessed by the way I have decided to do it.  
I thought it would be really cool if I prayed over him & so every few days (just because that's the way it's worked out), we sit down together & I pray. 

Let me give you an example of one of the prayers:
 "Lord, I pray that my husband will seek your face, desire your glory, and understand your will.  Grow him in grace and in knowledge of you. (1 Peter 3:18) And may he humble himself before you and hold himself accountable to your word.  I pray his heart will be diligent to honor you. (Prov. 4:23)"

Very specific. 100% Biblically-based.
It's been awesome to hear Mike say after various prayers how much he needed that specific prayer, that day.  He has so appreciated this experience. 
And for me, it's been a blessing to be able to pray for specific needs that I know I don't think of on a regular basis. 

Overall though, this experience has made me think a lot about marriage & I don't think it was any coincidence that this past month the sermon series at church was all about marriage as well. 
The series was called "To Spite the Devil" & it came from a quote from Martin Luther in regards to why he got married.  He said he got married "to spite the devil". 
The Enemy is crafty, deceptive & down right nasty.  
And one place he creates absolute mayhem is in marriages. 
I think it's awesome how the dichotomy of good vs. evil truly plays out in marriage.
It's such a beautiful depiction of the kind of relationship that Jesus wants with his church, as we display unconditional  love, if we forgive as Christ does & show compassion.
But at the same time, aren't we the ugliest people towards our spouse? I know that's how it is for me. My husband definitely sees  my most sinful side. 
All the rudeness, selfishness, pride, lack of self-control.

We spent roughly 4 months in counseling last year working through some issues that really, for us, could only be dealt in a counseling setting.  
We both learned so much during that time & really so much about how desperately we each need Jesus.
How this dependency on Christ is what will hold us together & make our marriage be the best that it can possibly be.

So as I spent the month praying over my husband, I was reminded of the urgency for which I need to cling to Jesus & daily be crying out to Him for our marriage because we are in a battle, & on my own, I'm not strong enough to carry the weight of this fight.  
But I've put my hope in the One who is. 
I trust in the One who will be my shield & my strength.
I believe in the One who is always victorious! 

And though I know it's not always going to be easy, 
I look forward to seeing how God uses our marriage "to spite the devil".



PS ~ a new month of #PrayerDare starts Friday...join us, won't you??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear feedback and welcome your comments!