Monday, July 29, 2013

what i meant to say

recently we ran into some friends that we haven't seen in a couple of years.
it was one of those moments that afterwards you think back on and you wish you could totally redo. 
i've been thinking about it, not obsessing over it, but just mulling it over, on how this exchange could have been different.  
you know how it is when you haven't seen someone in a while.
there is a lot that happens in two plus years.
how in the world do you sum it up in a 10 minute conversation?

here's how the exchange went:

friend: "so, what have you guys been up to?"
me: "oh you know, not a whole lot. mike works a few jobs & i stay home with eli."

there was a little more to it than that, but i'm gonna stop right here because i am just so ashamed by this!
 did you read my response?
what kind of pathetic answer is that?

redo, please???

here's a little tidbit about me:
i'm not always such a quick thinker.
my best friend and i used to joke about how i couldn't think on my feet.
it was better if i was sitting.  
or give me a few days and maybe i could generate a good comeback.

so, since i've had some time to think (and i've been doing it sitting down), i've thought of a few things that i might say instead. 

"so, what have you guys been up to?"

~experiencing the Lord's provision, His grace & mercy, His undying love and His wonderful goodness

~championing families in our church & teaching kids to treasure Jesus

~creating memories with our little family of 3


~watching in absolute wonder as our little boy grows right before our eyes


~overcoming obstacles 

~learning to let go of what others might think

~taking moments to just be still

yeah, i think that's a much better summary.

maybe they will read this and see that we really aren't boring, pathetic people?
_______________________________________________

what have you been up to?


 



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I run into people like that I catch myself saying, "I JUST stay home with the kids..." Why do I put the "just" in there? I am SO very grateful and love that I get to stay home. I should be saying, "I have the PRIVILEGE of staying home with the kids!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know whatcha mean. That's why some of us like to write-- it gives us time to think things over so we can say exactly what we want to say. And stay-at-home momming is particularly difficult to summarize! I feel your pain. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear feedback and welcome your comments!